I’m hopping on here to share with you a quick, satisfying recipe for your next gathering – perhaps #gameday for the Superbowl? Plus, they have spinach – so they have a bit of veggies :). The Patriot’s win of the AFC Championship yesterday (plus Martellus Bennett’s happy dance) are leaving New Englanders in good spirits despite the Winter Blues. Are any of you hosting a Superbowl Party this year? Try making these in 20 minutes and you might be doing a happy dance too!
My inspiration for this appetizer came while making pizza at home using those little bags of pre-made pizza dough you can find at almost any local grocery. I’ve tried one from Roche Bros., Trader Joe’s, and Whole Foods, and my favorite is definitely the Whole Foods one. While I didn’t particularly like the pizza I made, I DID LOVE the crust, which was bready, golden, and had parmesan and garlic powder rubbed into the crust. MMMM! So, instead of just making a cheesy breadstick, I thought, why not add a little extra nutrition? In comes spinach. One roll is a nice snack, two is a generous side to dinner, but you can make these as big or little as you want! Think back to garlic cheese knots – who doesn’t love those?
Here’s How to make Quick Cheesy Spinach Rolls:
1 bag premade pizza dough
1/2 bag or 1.5 cups frozen spinach
1 cup shredded mozzarella
1/4 cup shredded parmesan, asiago, or other salty hard cheese
1/2 cup grated parmesan
1 tablespoon garlic powder
2 tsp sea salt
1 tablespoon Italian seasonings
1/4 cup butter, melted
You will need: cookie sheet, 3 bowls, basting brush (helpful but not required)
- Defrost your frozen spinach. This was the most challenging part because it is winter here, and even a ride in the car from the grocery store wasn’t enough to soften the brick of spinach. Next time, I’d try a bag of frozen spinach – those are usually more flexible.
- Follow the directions on the dough to soften dough, preheat oven, roll out on floured surface.
- Melt butter in a microwave or heat safe bowl.
- Gather your spice blend and add to shredded mozzarella.
- Add spinach to shredded mozzarella and mix until evenly distributed. Roll out dough and cut into strips.
- Add in mozzarella +spinach + herb mix, about 2 tablespoons, to center of the dough strips.
7. Roll up the dough gradually. Place about 2 inches apart on a cookie sheet.
8. Using a basting brush, dip in butter and parmesan and spread along all the outside surfaces of the rolls.
9. Garnish with shredded parmesan.
10. They take about 12-15 minutes to bake and are a hit!
Serving suggestions: you can dip them in your favorite tomato sauce for a Game Day snack or serve as a side to a pasta dinner.
What do you like to serve for a Game Day snack?
Let me know in the comments, or share a Pin with me on Pinterest!
See what I’m pinning on my “Entertaining” board, and let’s Pin together! Just hit “Follow” and you’ll get to see my favorites for parties!