fruits, veggies, & whole grains??
This is a recipe on repeat in my household. Zook Bread with Blueberry & Toasted Honey Oat Crumble.
There are just two kinds of grating I think is fun: Frozen butter and zucchini. Frozen butter curls are beautiful. See my post with the blueberry scones recipe to see why! No risk of sore thumbs because zucchini grates easily. Yes, I like baking with blueberries because they’re SO good for you – see here and here and here for other awesome blueberry recipes you may have missed on Where the BlueBootsGo.
Here’s the healthy scoop on this breakfast and snack time favorite.
Ingredients – makes two loaves – one to have, one to freeze or share with a friend.
Mix all ingredients in a stand mixer, if you have one. Fold in blueberries last, so they don’t get crushed. Line loaf pans with parchment paper (works like a dream!) and drizzle topping ingredients on top. Bake at 325F for 1 – 1.5 hour, depending on your loaf pan – glass pans require more time. Be sure to check on the loaves with a toothpick (or chop stick or bread knife, if you aren’t too picky!) but I’ve never had a real problem with overcooking the loaf.
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 4 heaping teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup vegetable (canola) oil
- 2 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups grated zucchini
- 2 Loaf pans lined with parchment paper
- 1/2 cup blueberries
3 tablespoons turbinado sugar, 1/3 cup oats, drizzled honey.
- Between 1-1.5 hours baking time, depending on if you use a glass or metal loaf pan and because this load is full of fruits and veggies that increase cook time. The wait is worth it! Using a stand mixer to mix as you go is a big time saver too – so if you have one, pull it out.
- This also freezes very well so you can have one loaf to eat and the other to share or slice and freeze for later.